Skip to content

Which Theme Are You On?

Minimalist-Typography-Quote-Poster

Courtesy of Anna Smith of Annabode + Co.

The way my blog looks expresses what I believe my writing to be: simple and to the point.

I’m a sucker for all things minimal. Even though my personal blog is full of color, I still prefer the classic look when it comes to professional sites, and a black and white color scheme achieves that. That’s why I chose Scott Allan Wallick’s veryplaintxt as my WordPress theme with the help of Adam Clarke’s, “8 Blog Design Tips to Make Sure People Stop to Read Your Content.”

The simplicity of veryplaintxt allows the photos on my posts and my sidebar to stand out. Instead of subconsciously glazing over the photos, your eyes will actually be drawn to it.

The two-column feature organizes my content in a simple way. You’ll know to look for my content on the left and other networks to connect with me on the right.

The typography is clean and crisp and does not distract the reader from the content at all. However, had I had the option to make the text a little bit bigger, I would have opted for that choice. Still, it’s nothing the zoom button can’t fix for us visually-challenged!

That’s the only downside to this theme: there’s not much you can do to change its layout, color or font. But I think that’s also its strong-suit– it’s cohesive and it doesn’t give you the option of changing things that will take away that cohesiveness.

To spice up the theme and still make it my own, the sidebar is really what I customized. I added my own menus, an Instagram photo carousel and a collection of a few of my pins on Pinterest.

It added color, dimension, and me in it. And making sure everything you do has a little bit of you in it is a theme that could never go out of style.

If you are looking for a minimalist theme on WordPress, check out colorlib.com’s Stunning Collection of The Best Minimalist WordPress Themes For Business, Portfolio and Blogs 2016, and browse through their picks!

9 Comments

1. Profile photo of Lisa Lisa wrote:

I love the reasoning behind your theme choice. The minimal simplicity really draws the reader to the text, which is of course the main feature. I did a similar thing with my blog, although there is a bit more color in it. The simplicity also makes the blog seem very professional, which is what you were going for. I love the look of your personal blog as well, and I think the contrast between the two is great. It allows readers to see different sides of you, and allows a creative outlet in each space. Great job!

Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 5:33 am | Permalink
  2. Profile photo of arianad arianad wrote:

I love the way your blog looks! The header really brings it alive with its color. It’s just right. Had this theme been more flexible, I probably would have added a touch of color to it, too. Thanks for taking the time to look at my personal blog! That’s exactly my intention: for people to see different sides of me and I’m glad you were able to!

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm | Permalink
  3. Profile photo of lih lih wrote:

Your page is so cute I love your picture on the home page. I thought this theme would be too bland but I love what you said about the aesthetic of it, “allows the photos on my posts and my sidebar to stand out.” That is so true and something I didn’t think about when choosing my theme. Your work will definitely stand out just how you want. Love your page!

Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 7:45 am | Permalink
  4. Profile photo of arianad arianad wrote:

Thank you so much! I struggled with not being able to do more with it, but in the end, I’m happy in constricted me from changing the theme too much!

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
  5. Profile photo of teenab teenab wrote:

I absolutely adore your site. I saw this theme as well and had a hard time navigating and customizing it for some reason so I chose to go a different route. I have always loved a good black and white theme with splashes of colors in the visuals. This definitely allows for the reader to focus on your content, but it also draws more attention to the photos instead of just glancing and disregarding them. Great job!

Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 11:32 am | Permalink
  6. Profile photo of arianad arianad wrote:

Thank you Teena! I definitely struggled with it at first too– especially about how to make it my own– but I’m pleased with the outcome and I’m happy you’re able to focus on the content with the theme! That was my number one intention.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
  7. Profile photo of ashtynm ashtynm wrote:

I love your theme! It feels very New York Times. I also tried to go for a simplistic theme but I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head. The visuals fit the theme perfectly and I love the layout and font.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 6:10 am | Permalink
  8. Profile photo of arianad arianad wrote:

Thank you so much Ashtyn!

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
  9. Barbara wrote:

I love the simplicity of your theme, the white background always seems difficult to pull off but you did a great job by adding your own personal touches to make the space feel inviting to readers. Loved the picture you also used for your post, sticking with the minimalistic accents looks great!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 1:11 am | Permalink